Callantsoog is one of the oldest seaside resorts of Holland. The village (2600 inhabitants) knows two previous versions which have been devoured by the sea. The island Oghe was abandoned by its inhabitants when shifting dunes and the shifting coastline, swept away the houses. In 1570 the village was struck by All Saints Flood. The church bell survived both disasters and nowadays can be found in a local church.
An exhibition farm Auntie Jaantje is an exhibition about combing the beach, an important additional income to the former population. The name Callantsoog is probably based on the first name Karl or the Friese male name Kalle. The second part of the name points at corruption of ing or inga. Ing can be a suffix to the creation of personal names. Kalling is somehow related to Kallen-Kallens. The third part of the name “Eye” means island.
Nowadays Callantsoog is an important seaside resort.
In 1990 during redivision Callantsoog was added to the municipality Zijpe. Callantsoog has a very pleasant centre. The first legal allowed nude beach in Holland is here. Callantsoog offers the tourist lots of different accommodations on campsites, camping on the farm, hotels, holiday parks, apartments etc. In 2010 and previous years Callantsoog received the Blue Flag. The Blue Flag is an award granted for clean and safe beaches.
The “Zwanenwater” is a wildlife sanctuary found on the south side of Callantsoog. The Zwanenwater is 580 hectares with two big lakes, swampland, ponds, heath land and a forest. It’s famous for its stork colony. There are lots of special plants like orchids, flowers and herbs. It is also a breeding ground for more than 70 different kinds of birds. Two walks can be made. In the period May till beginning of August several guided field trips are being organised. This wildlife sanctuary is supervised by the organisation “Natuurmonumenten”.
Many activitities are organised for the tourists and habitants of Callantsoog, both for grownups and youngsters. On the Dorpssquare you can enjoy nice restaurants, shops and pavement cafes.
1759 HA Callantsoog